If ever there was a competition over the most versatile ingredients on the planet, the humble egg would be a contender for the top spot. You can add it as a binding agent, use it in savory and sweet dishes, and add it to any meal of the day and you have a winner. Even eggs alone can be consumed in many different forms. Sunny-side up, boiled, omelet, baked and fried – there are so many things you can do with eggs. Although the best way to eat an egg is, many would argue, it is fried.
Now, at its core, scrambled eggs are fairly easy to make. But a perfect plate of scrambled eggs is far from what most of us would whip up at home at the end of a long day. However, there are a few tips you can follow to ensure that you always end up with a plate of fluffy scrambled eggs, no matter what time you make it.
Here are 8 Tips for Making Scrambled Eggs
1. Use the right utensils. Try making your scrambled eggs on a non-stick pan with a non-stick spatula which will prevent the eggs from sticking to the pot.
2. Make sure you don’t overheat your pan. A good way to measure this is to put a portion of butter in the pan. While it should be hot enough to melt the butter, the butter should not crackle either.
3. Always beat your eggs. It’s never a good idea to try to make scrambled eggs by breaking them directly into the skillet. Always beat the egg to such an extent that the egg white and yolk are well mixed.
4. Get the seasoning right. Don’t go overboard with this. While you are whipping the eggs, add a pinch of salt and pepper so that they mix well. You can always add more later.
5. Do not overdo it with dairy products. You can add sour cream, regular cream, or milk to raw eggs, and voila, they’re fluffy. However, going overboard can cause the eggs to overflow too much. Follow a 1:5 ratio – one unit of cream should work well for five units of eggs.
6. Don’t forget to shake. Once the beaten eggs are on the pan, don’t go far. Keep stirring the eggs gently but continuously.
7. To avoid overcooking, turn off the pan a minute before the eggs are cooked to the consistency you want. On the remaining heat the eggs will be cooked to the required level. You can also turn the eggs on and off the flame to make sure you don’t overcook.
8. You can spice up the dish with a generous dose of herbs, cheese shavings or crunchy meat to make a complete meal out of your scrambled eggs.
Tell us in the comments section how you like your scrambled eggs.