World Food Day 2021 is celebrated all over the world on 16 October. It is an initiative by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. After 2020, this is the second time that World Food Day is falling at a time when countries across the world are grappling with the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. The global event marks a day that calls for worldwide awareness and collective action to tackle the issue of hunger, and ensure a healthy diet for all. Here’s what you need to know about this special day.
It affects our food choices.
???? food products
???? our nourishment
????????????????????????? our life
World Food Day 2021: Theme | celebrating food heroes
In 2020, the theme of World Food Day was “Grow, Nurture, Sustain. Together. Our Actions Are Our Future.” This was decided keeping in mind the suffering of lakhs of people during the pandemic. This year, the emphasis is on celebrating food heroes or individuals who have contributed to building a sustainable world where no one has to go hungry. The idea is that we can all be food heroes and contribute to the idea of building a hunger-free world. FAO has also highlighted the work of food heroes around the world who are working on the same aspect.
World Food Day 2021: History and Significance | Why is World Food Day celebrated?
World Food Day was originally meant to mark the day when FAO was established in the year 1979. However, it gradually became a way to raise awareness about hunger, malnutrition, sustainability and food production. The UN Secretary-General is organizing the first ever Food System Summit in September 2021. The FAO website highlights some startling statistics about food and hunger, as well as the agri-food system.
- About 40% of the world’s population cannot afford a healthy diet.
- 2 million people are obese or overweight due to poor diet and sedentary lifestyle.
- The world’s food systems are responsible for more than 33% of global greenhouse gas emissions.
- Inadequate harvesting, handling, storage and transit results in 14% of the world’s food being lost, and 17% wasted at the consumer level.
- The world’s agri-food system employs more than 1 billion people, more than any other sector.
[ये भी पढ़ें: World Food Day: खाने की 6 बुरी आदतें जिन्हें आपको आज ही छोड़ना चाहिए]
we can all be #FoodHeroes And to help reduce our food waste:
Fight food insecurity
???? protect valuable resources
????reduce our carbon footprint
????SAVE MONEY AND ENERGY
???? Consume more consciously
World Food Day 2021: What can we do to reduce food waste?
According to the FAO, we can all be food heroes and do our part to help. Whether we are part of government, or the private sector, civil society, or academia – it is important to learn from nature by ‘acting with nature’. Here are some ways you can start taking action:
- Choose a healthy diet and avoid ultra-processed foods to influence what the market offers us and maintain a healthy body and environment.
- Choose products that are healthy for you and also sustainable for the environment. Read labels and packaging carefully before selecting products.
- Improve food storage and reduce wastage at home. As the FAO suggests, “buy what you use and use it!”
- Recycle as much as you can and reuse old water at home. Try composting and adding nutrients back to the soil. You can also start your own green patch of fruits, vegetables, or herbs.
- Support small farmers and local producers to nurture local ecosystems.
Happy World Food Day 2021!
About Aditi AhujaAditi loves talking and meeting like-minded people (especially those who love Veg Momos). Plus points if you find his bad jokes and sitcom references, or if you recommend a new place to eat.