Iran on Tuesday warned the US to make a “strategic mistake” after President Donald Trump threatened to avenge Tehran’s assassination of top General Kaseem Soleimani.
“We hope that they do not make a new strategic mistake and certainly in case of any strategic mistake, they will bear witness to Iran’s decisive response,” government spokesman Ali Rabiye told a television news conference.
An American media report quoted unnamed officials as saying that an alleged Iranian plot to assassinate the US ambassador to South Africa was planned before the US presidential election in November.
“Any attack by Iran, in any form, will coincide with an attack on Iran against the United States, which will be 1,000 times more in magnitude!” Trump wrote on Twitter on Monday.
Rabi regretted that “the president of a country that has claims of global management and order will make hasty, agenda-fueled and dubious remarks on such a weak basis.”
He warned that reacting to such reports would “do nothing to calm the region and the world” and advised Trump to “win a new term as president … new Excitement should be avoided. “
On Monday, the Foreign Ministry denied reports of a murder plot as “baseless” and part of “repetitive and rotten ways to create an anti-Iranian atmosphere”.
Relations between Washington and Tehran have been tense since the 1979 Islamic Revolution. They have steadily deteriorated and re-enforced crippling sanctions since Trump unilaterally pulled out of a historic international nuclear deal with Iran in May 2018.
The Iranian Navy said last week that it had flown an American aircraft that flew close to an area where naval exercises were underway near the sensitive strait of Hormuz.
The military said the three American aircraft were detected by air security.
One of them was the US RQ-4 drone, the same model as Iran shot after violating Iran’s airspace in June last year – a claim the US has denied.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and published from a syndicated feed.)