Connect with us

Sports News

15 Australian players offered $500,000 to leave BBL for UAE league: Report

Published

on


The International League (ILT20) in the UAE has reportedly offered 15 top Australian players AUD 700,000 deals to finish the Big Bash League (BBL), whose dates are overlapping, leading to Cricket Australia (CA) ranks There is a lot of tension in me. The Big Bash League will be played from December 13 to February 4 while the inaugural edition of ILT20 is scheduled from January 6 to February 12, making it almost impossible for Australian players to participate in both the tournaments.

According to a report in the Sydney Morning Herald, “15 Australian players have been offered contracts of up to AUD 700,000 a year to leave the Big Bash League and play in the UAE Twenty20 tournament in January.” Most of the top Australian players have no obligation to play the BBL under their current central contracts, with Warner not playing an edition since 2014.

The BBL’s highest payout from the draft so far has been Darcy Short’s $258,000 (AUD 370,000) and the money has been much less compared to what Australian players have been paid in the IPL.

But with Indian IPL owners investing in UAE and CSA T20 leagues, BBL will need to revamp their salary structure to keep the best interest in the business.

According to Australian newspapers ‘The Age’ and ‘The Sydney Morning Herald’ by senior cricket sources, “the scale of the raid on Australian players is more for the UAE than the threat of losing a player – David Warner – because He doesn’t do BBL deals.” The paper also revealed: “The UAE contract size above and beyond what is offered in the BBL has put Cricket Australia and the Australian Cricketers’ Association under pressure to reassure players that they are not left behind the rest of the world.” Being left loyal to the game in this country.” However it is learned that in their bid to maintain the shine and quality of the BBL, CA is keen to sign a lucrative outright deal with Warner, which will prevent him from taking up the ILT20 offer.

“While CA is in talks with Warner about finding a way to bring them back into the BBL this summer, the governing body’s chief executive Nick Hockley and his players’ union counterpart Todd Greenberg have been receiving countless calls from players about the offer. ,” SMH further reported.

Greenberg feels Australian players are not “mercenaries” and will ultimately make an informed and mature decision.

“They have this real sense of care about the game – if they don’t, they’ll be mercenaries and take what’s in front of them.

Greenberg said, “But they’re not doing that, they’re really taking a mature, well-thought-out approach to it and trying to be part of the solution. It’s with your own players and the relationship you develop with them.” Comes down to establishing trust.”

But he did not forget to mention that the CA needs to do something about the salary ceiling.

publicized

“I know that CA has to stay within the principles of the salary cap for any player and that includes Dave (Warner),” Greenberg said.

“But obviously they have to try to offer the best they can to have him here. It’s a balance of trying to make sure you’re attracting your best players and there’s some commonality in the system and the model, so that all They have the opportunity to play and are remunerated accordingly.”

Topics mentioned in this article

,