Connect with us

Sports News

“Broken under pressure…”: Cheteshwar Pujara’s father cites family tragedy and how it affected the star




One of the finest Test batsmen of his generation, Cheteshwar Pujara achieved a milestone in his career that many could not even dream of. The ongoing second Test between India and Australia is Pujara’s 100th Test for the national team. Pujara, who is known for his willpower in the middle of a 22-yard pitch, is not much different in life as well. In an emotional story narrated by his father, senior Pujara revealed how the India batsman went through traumatic events at a young age but did not let them break him.

Pujara’s father Arvind said in an interview with the Indian Express, “Beyond the cricket field, he has faced some really tough situations. If he was not strong, he would have caved in under the pressure, given up the game and given up on life.” I would have gone ahead.”

Pujara was about to return home after the Saurashtra match ended early. On his way to see his mother, the right-handed batsman didn’t know that was the last time he spoke to his mother.

“I still remember the day Reena dropped us. It was after her chemotherapy was over and she was looking fine. Chintu was playing an Under-19 game in Bhavnagar. We were changing homes, so My wife said she would visit us.” Relative’s house so that he can rest.

Since the Saurashtra team had lost early, Chintu called his mother around 2 pm to tell her that he was coming back that evening. Within a few hours, Reena suffered an ‘electrical heart attack’. It happened so early that he could not get up from the divan and go to bed. When Chintu reached home, we were a family of two – his mother, my wife and the center of our lives had left this world,” reveals Arvind .

Even Pujara’s father suffered a heart attack a few years later, but by the grace of God, he made a full recovery.

“Years later, Chintu would again remember that painful day. While he was undergoing rehabilitation at the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore, I had a heart attack. That day, I was on the bed, when my heart started pounding. began to throb. So much so that I could hear it beating like a drum. I called Nirbhay Shah, our family doctor, and asked: “What does someone feel when they have a heart attack?”. I knew him very well and asked where I was. Dr Shah went home and shifted me to a hospital,” revealed Arvind.

“She called Chintu and told him that I had been admitted to a hospital. It is easy to guess his thoughts when he was on the plane. He was not sure whether the doctor was telling him the truth. He was not sure I was sure he was still alive. But he remained calm and reached Rajkot. God was kind to us, no bad news awaited him this time. He was happy to see me,” he said.

featured video of the day

Women’s Premier League: All you need to know

topics covered in this article