FA Cup: Tottenham and Liverpool scare, West Ham beat Leeds

Tottenham avoided an embarrassing FA Cup exit at the hands of third-tier Morecambe on Sunday as Liverpool were forced to come from behind to defeat lowly Shrewsbury. West Ham beat Leeds 2–0 in their only third round match of the day, involving the two Premier League teams, while Wolves beat Championship side Sheffield United 3–0. Spurs needed a late goal from Harry Winks and defeated League One club Morecambe 3–1 to substitute Lucas Moura and Harry Kane. Tottenham made eight changes from a team losing to Chelsea in the first leg of their League Cup semi-final in midweek, with Kane taking his first rest under Antonio Conte.

Morecambe boss Stephen Robinson was absent for the game against the club where he began his playing career after testing positive for the coronavirus.

Spurs – 59 places higher than their opponents in the English league system – dominated the opening half-hour, but the guests advanced in the 33rd minute when captain Anthony O’Connor scored from close range.

Home was level in the 74th minute, but they needed a blow – midfielder Winks overtook a free-kick from the left-hand side, but it caught goalkeeper Trevor Carson and went into the far corner.

Maura gave Spurs the lead in the 85th minute after the goalkeeper scored and Kane ensured that Spurs would go ahead.


Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp was back in the dugout at Anfield after ending his isolation period after testing positive for Covid-19.

Liverpool named five youth team players in their squad to face League One side Shrewsbury, with more academy players on the bench, following a Covid-affected build-up at home.

The Merseyside club have also struggled with injuries and are without Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Nabi Keita, all of whom are in the Africa Cup of Nations.

Shrewsbury faced almost half an hour into Liverpool’s possession but struck with his first real attack of any threat, when Daniel Udoh fired home from close after a Nathanael Ogbeta cross.

Shrewsbury took the lead just seven minutes before Kaede Gordon scored his first goal for the club at the end of the coop.

The right leg of the 17-year-old controlled Connor Bradley before slipping home with one foot into the crowded penalty area with the other.

Liverpool were ahead just before half-time when Ethan Ebanks-Landel handled an aerial challenge with Virgil van Dijk and Fabinho scored a penalty.

Substitute Roberto Firmino extended Liverpool’s lead with a close backheel in 12 minutes from time and Fabinho scored his second to make it 4–1 with the final kick of the game.

West Ham took the lead at the London Stadium in the 34th minute when Manuel Lanzini beat home and Jarrod Bowen doubled the home team’s lead in stoppage time.

Wolves beat Sheffield United by two goals from Daniel Podens and one by Nelson Semedo, while Premier League strugglers Norwich beat third-tier Charlton 1–0.


Fourteen-time FA Cup winners Arsenal are in action at Nottingham Forest starting late on Sunday.

Premier League side Newcastle suffered a 1-0 loss to third-tier Cambridge on Saturday, while non-League sides Kidderminster and Boreham Wood also booked their places in the fourth round.

Topics mentioned in this article