With the closure of their country for fliers from India, the now suspended IPL Australian contingent, which includes players, support staff and commentators, is expected to fly to the Maldives before taking a connecting flight home. The IPL was suspended “indefinitely” on Tuesday after several cases of COVID-19 were reported from Kolkata Knight Riders, Delhi Capital, Sunrisers Hyderabad and Chennai Super Kings. There are also 14 Australian players, along with coaches and commentators who can now be sidelined as the Australian government has imposed tougher restrictions for those returning from India.
“A mass exodus of Australian players, coaches and support staff to the Maldives is an expected measure of the dilemma arising due to the postponement of the 2021 IPL and the current closure of civilians in India.”, ESPNcricinfo reported.
“The IPL bubble consists of 40 Australian players, including coaching staff and commentators,” he said.
“The likes of Pat Cummins, Steven Smith, Glenn Maxwell, Ricky Ponting, Simon Katich and company are expected to join commentator Michael Slater, who had already led the Maldives as a temporary post …”
Premier Pacer Pat Cummins, who was contracted with KKR, described the situation as unprecedented.
Pat Cummins told The Back, “Once we got out of Australia we knew that we would sign up to come home for 14 days. So you would feel a little trouble getting out of the house, but when the border If closed down, no one will experience it on Fox Sports page.
Cummins said, “This has raised a bit of concern for the Australian team here but we had signed up to play the tournament by the beginning of June.
“Cricket Australia, along with the ACA, has been fantastic, they are working closely with the government to get the latest information, if we cannot find a home there will be no lack of effort from all those involved.”
Topics mentioned in this article