Porto vs Chelsea, Champions League Quarterfinals 1 leg: Chelsea outgun to put one foot in Porto semi-finals

A perfect Mount Mason goal on Wednesday helped Chelsea secure a 2–0 first-leg victory over Porto, whose reckless refinement put their hopes of another Champions League upset in the quarter-finals. Mount’s sleek turn and shot in the first half would have been quite painful for Porto, who were the better side for big spells at Seville, but lacked the precision to take advantage of them repeatedly. Instead, his grief was tried to capitalize on a mistake by Ben Chilwell to back out, giving Chelsea a second goal and leaving them on the verge of a semi-final.

They were away from the nominal goal, playing both of these teams in the unfamiliar Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan, where they would meet again next week, just reversed with roles at home and away.

Porto was dug into the house, wearing his home kit, a large club banner in the empty stand and his anthem was the one played before kick-off.

Chelsea also played the role, giving off an excellent display of pressure and pushing their opponents into a counter-attack, their quality in proving to be the final third.

Real Madrid can lie in wait for a win after defeating Liverpool 3–1 on Tuesday.

“There is a good atmosphere in the dressing room, we are happy but not very happy, excited but not very excited,” Chelsea coach Thomas Tuchel said. “We have to have a top-notch mindset and a top-notch performance next Tuesday.”

Mount’s goal makes him Chelsea’s youngest scorer in the Champions League at age 22 and 87 days while Chilwell’s second means the club claimed two English scorers in Champions League games for the first time since 2012.

There is no way to mitigate the shock of Chelsea’s win at home to West Brom in the Premier League on Saturday, 5–2, leading to a 14-match unbeaten start as coach.

“After losing such a strange game we said that the best situation would be to produce a clean sheet directly and that makes it very precious, this is the result,” Tuchel said.

Chilwell’s sucker-punch

Tuchel decided that Thiago Silva was sent 29 minutes earlier in the game, which was not enough to increase his pace, meaning Andreas Christenson was picked up in the back three.

And Antonio Rudiger also returned on Sunday despite his training ground with Kepa Arriazabalaga, which Tuchel described as a “critical condition”.

Despite seeing Cristiano Ronaldo and Juventus in the last 16, Porto were considered as a plum draw, this time with the suspension of Mehdi Tarimi and top scorer Sergio Oliveira making his job difficult.

But they were aggressive from the start, with Chelsea surrendering the ball and the opportunity.

Porto had Chelsea six shots before half-time, with Matius Urabay capturing the top of the net with an early volley and Ottavio nearly catching Edoard Mendy from a corner, with Zuna Sanusi smashing at the rebound. gave.

Chelsea, however, showed him how mercilessly when Berogo fired a pass at Mt. on the edge of the area inside the right channel. Before firing a quiet finish to the far corner, Mount took to his back foot and turned away from the sliding JDU.


In the second half Porto kept coming and missing as well. The warts drifted into Marega but Jesus Corona saved his shot from Mendy’s feet before pinning Luis Diaz but it looked too long. Dyson went wide after a good run by Wilson Manfa.

Chelsea absorbed him and then hit a final sucker-punch, a top foul by Kottena to Mato Kovacic’s ball, allowing Chilwell to clear, round the goalkeeper and finish.

Topics mentioned in this article



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here