Connect with us

World News

Actress Lily Bernard sued American comedian Bill Cosby for alleged rape in 1990

Published

on


A US court had earlier overturned the conviction of comedian Bill Cosby in a sexual assault case. (file)

New York:

US court documents show an actress has sued Bill Cosby, alleging that the disgraced comedian drugged and raped her in New Jersey 31 years ago.

Lily Bernard said that Cosby seduced her on the pretext of meeting a producer at the Trump Taj Mahal casino resort in Atlantic City around August 1990, saying it might help advance her career.

Once in a hotel suite, Cosby made her a non-alcoholic drink and after consuming the drink, Bernard said she vomited and lost consciousness. Cosby was later found raping her, according to the lawsuit filed Thursday.

Bernard said she lost consciousness again and found herself “naked and alone in an empty bathtub or bathroom with a Jacuzzi.”

The next morning Cosby gave Bernard the money and escorted him to a waiting car, which took him back to New York, the suit says.

According to court filings, Cosby also “sexually assaulted, beaten and drugged” Bernard, and threatened to sue for defamation if she went to the police.

Bernard said she suffered psychological, mental and physical trauma and is seeking $125 million in damages.

She filed the lawsuit under a New Jersey law that gives sexual abuse victims a two-year window ending next month to bring civil claims against their alleged abusers, regardless of when the abuse occurred.

A Cosby spokesman said in a statement that New Jersey prosecutors closed the investigation into Bernard’s allegations in 2015 without charging Cosby.

Andrew Wyatt said, “This is yet another attempt to abuse the legal process, by opening the floodgates for people who have never presented an ounce of evidence, evidence, truth and/or facts to substantiate their alleged allegations.” did.”

“Mr. Cosby continues to stand firm in his innocence and will vigorously fight any alleged charges brought against him and is prepared and able to take this fight to the Supreme Court in these United States.”

Bernard is a longtime Cosby accuser, one of several women to say he sexually assaulted her.

Because of the expiration of the statute of limitations, only one case was criminally prosecuted.

In June a US court convicted Andrea Constand of drug and sexual assault at her Philadelphia mansion in 2004.

The state Supreme Court of Pennsylvania ruled that he had been denied a fair trial and was released after serving more than two years of a sentence of three to ten years.

The court did not acquit him. Instead, it reversed the conviction on a technicality. His release angered advocates of the #MeToo movement.

In August, a Los Angeles judge ruled that a nearly seven-year-old civil lawsuit alleges that Cosby sexually assaulted Judy Huth in 1974, when she was 15 years old.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Copyright Indian Lekhak Limited 2021. All Rights Reserved