Prince Harry and his wife Meghan are being evicted from their home at the British royal family’s Windsor estate, leaving them no UK base, reports said on Wednesday.
Frogmore Cottage, which he refurbished at a reported cost of £2.4 million ($2.9 million), was a wedding gift from the late Queen Elizabeth II in 2018.
It has now been offered to Prince Andrew, the disgraced brother of King Charles III, reports The Sun and Daily Telegraph.
Harry and Meghan, also known as the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, were reportedly told to vacate the property days after the publication of the prince’s all-encompassing memoir “Spare” in January.
Charles, who has long supported a weakened monarchy, is currently doing a great deal of funding.
A possible pivot to Andrew’s £250,000-a-year grant could force him to do so due to the heavy maintenance costs of his current residence, the 30-room Royal Lodge, also on the Windsor Estate.
Harry and Meghan moved to California in 2020 after dramatically stepping down from royal life.
Since then, they have participated in a number of projects – from an interview with Oprah Winfrey to a Netflix documentary – airing grievances about their experiences as members of the British royal family.
Harry’s autobiography “Spare” broke sales records when it was published in January, but also saw his popularity ratings decline.
Andrew was forced out of public life because of his friendship with the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Last year, Andrew settled a US civil case for sexual assault with accuser Virginia Giuffre.
Buckingham Palace declined to comment on the reports. A representative for Sussex was not immediately available.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)
featured video of the day
This humanoid robot can teach children up to fourth grade in Karnataka