New York attorney drops groping charges against former governor Andrew Cuomo

Andrew Cuomo, 64, was due to respond to a summons to appear in court on Friday.

New York:

US prosecutors said Tuesday they are dropping a sexual assault case against former New York governor Andrew Cuomo, who was forced to step down last year over allegations.

Albany County District Attorney David Soares said that despite the complainant being “credible,” his office would not be able to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt.

“As such we have informed the court that we are refusing to prosecute this case and requesting the dismissal of the charges filed by the Albany County Sheriff,” he said in a statement.

Cuomo was charged in November with a misdemeanor charge for forcible touching, a sex offense that could carry up to a year in prison.

It was filed for the first time since the once powerful politician was forced to resign in August following allegations of sexual harassment.

The case was brought by the sheriff’s office in Albany but it soon became unclear whether Soares would pursue prosecution.

Cuomo, 64, was due to respond to a summons to appear in court on Friday.

But Soares has now become the third district attorney in recent weeks to close a criminal investigation into Cuomo’s alleged harassment of women.

Cuomo was accused of putting his hand under the victim’s blouse and grasping her left breast in December 2020.

His resignation came after state Attorney General Letitia James released a report, which was not criminal in nature, concluding that he sexually assaulted 11 women, including former employees.

Cuomo vehemently denied the allegations and claimed he was the victim of a political vendetta.

He garnered nationwide acclaim in 2020 for his straightforward daily coronavirus briefings before his spectacular fall from grace.

(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

,