Connect with us

World News

No payment to Taliban during evacuation: US

Published

on


The Taliban took control of Afghanistan after entering the capital, Kabul, on 15 August. (file)

Washington DC:

The chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark Milley, and Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said they were not aware of any US payments to the Taliban at any time during last month’s evacuation.

During a Senate hearing on Wednesday, top Pentagon officials said they were not aware of any payments to the Taliban during last month’s evacuation.

“To my knowledge, there was not,” Austin told a US Senate Armed Services Committee hearing on the US withdrawal from Afghanistan. When asked the same question, Milley replied: “I have no knowledge of any money that is remitted to the Taliban from any element of the United States government.”

Austin said the US planned to evacuate 70,000-80,000 people. “We evacuated over 124,000 people.”

“Not even one [military aircraft] The sortie was abandoned for maintenance, fuel, or logistics problems. It was the largest airlift done in American history, and was executed in just 17 days.”

As we consider these strategic issues today, Austin said America should also ask some equally difficult questions about widespread war, and to think about the lessons we’ve learned over the past 20 years. Wait.

The Taliban took control of Afghanistan after entering the capital, Kabul, on August 15, leading to the collapse of the US-backed government there. Soon after the Taliban captured the capital city, US and coalition forces launched a massive evacuation operation from the country.

Within weeks, thousands of people were evacuated from Afghanistan, including foreign nationals and vulnerable Afghan nationals.

(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)

.

Copyright Indian Lekhak Limited 2021. All Rights Reserved