Connect with us

World News

Norway bow and arrow attack suspect transferred to health services

Published

on


Police said the attacks took place in “a large area” of Kongsberg.

Kongsberg, Norway:

A man suspected of killing five people in Norway with bow and arrow and other weapons was under the care of health professionals on Friday, police said.

Investigators have named the suspect as Espen Andersen Brathen, a 37-year-old Danish national who has lived most of his life in Kongsberg, where the attacks took place on Wednesday.

Investigators have said he admitted to killing the victims.

“After assessing his health condition, he was shifted to the care of health services,” the police said. They did not go into further details about his condition.

Later on Friday, a court ruled that he could be held in pre-trial custody for up to four weeks.

Police said Brathen, a convert to Islam, had shown signs of bigotry. They also have a history of being “in and out” of health institutions, the force elaborated.

His lawyer, Fredrik Neumann, said on Thursday that he would be subjected to a full mental evaluation.

Police said the attacks took place on “a large area” of Kongsberg, a city and municipality about 70 km (40 mi) west of the capital Oslo.

Four women and one man, aged between 50 and 70, were killed in what police said appeared to be a random “act of terror”. Three others, including an off-duty police officer, were injured.

A student https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/students-shut-themselves-norway-bow-and-arrow-attacker-struck-2021-10-15 told Reuters how he and his friends Locked himself in the bedroom, the attacker tried to enter his house.

Police have said Brathen is cooperating with the investigation. There will be no trial for months.

Prime Minister Jonas Gehr Storey, who took office on Thursday after winning the election last month, will travel to Kongsberg on Friday with Justice Minister Emilie Anger Mehl.

Norway had the worst death toll in any attack since 2011, when right-wing extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them teenagers, in the youth camp.

(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

.

Copyright Indian Lekhak Limited 2021. All Rights Reserved