Prince Andrew will have a chance to review a 2009 settlement he hopes will save him from a civil trial accusing him of sexually abusing a woman two decades ago when she was young.
In an order Wednesday, US District Judge Loretta Presca in Manhattan allowed Andrew’s attorneys to obtain a copy of the confidential settlement between the late financier Jeffrey Epstein and Virginia Giuffre, the prince’s accuser.
Giuffre has also accused Epstein of abuse.
Epstein’s estate had agreed to let the Duke of York, who is also Queen Elizabeth’s second son, review the agreement, but court approval was required.
The 61-year-old prince has not been charged with the crimes, and has “categorically denied” Giuffre’s claims against him.
Prince’s lawyer Andrew Brettler said in an email that he expects to get a settlement from Giuffre’s lawyers soon.
At a hearing last month, Breitler told the judge overseeing Giuffre’s lawsuit that he believed the settlement “exempts our client from any and all liability.”
Giuffre’s lawyers did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
One of the lawyers, David Bois, said in a court filing last month that he believed the settlement was “irrelevant” in Giuffre’s case against Andrew.
Giuffre, 38, accused the prince of forcing her to have sex when she was a minor at the London home of Epstein’s longtime aide Ghislaine Maxwell.
She also said that Andrew abused her at Epstein’s mansion in Manhattan and Epstein’s private island in the US Virgin Islands.
Andrew faces an October 29 deadline to formally respond to Giuffre’s lawsuit, which seeks unspecified damages.
Epstein, a registered sex offender, killed himself in a Manhattan prison in August 2019 at the age of 66 while awaiting trial on sex trafficking charges.
Maxwell pleads not guilty to Epstein’s misbehavior for recruiting underage girls and helping to groom. His trial in Manhattan is scheduled for November 29.
(This story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)