Six people were killed and 30 injured in shelling on Thursday at a Beirut rally organized by Shia Hezbollah and Amal movements to demand the sacking of the principal investigator in last year’s port blast.
Home Minister Basam Moulvi told a press conference that the death toll has risen to six.
He shot some of the victims in the head.
A doctor at the Sahel Hospital in the southern suburb of Beirut told AFP that the deaths included a 24-year-old woman who was hit in the head by a stray bullet inside her home.
The Lebanese Red Cross put the number of injured at least 30.
AFP correspondents heard heavy gunfire in the area.
Lebanese television broadcast pictures of men with rifles and heavy weapons.
The military reported a “barrage of bullets in the area of Tayouneh – Badaro”, a largely residential area of Beirut.
It said, “Army cordoned off the area and deployed its neighborhood and their entrance. Patrolling began and searches were launched to nab the shooters.”
In a follow-up statement, the military warned that it would open fire at anyone who called on civilians to evacuate the area.
Prime Minister Najib Mikati called for peace to be restored and warned against attempts to drag Lebanon into violence.
(Except for the title, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)