Myanmar police most extensive attack, arrested hundreds

The protesters cover the fire targets canister of police officers who riot during a rally against a military coup.

Police in Myanmar on Saturday began their most comprehensive crackdown in a three-week nationwide protest against military rule, arresting hundreds and injuring at least one person.

State television announced that the UN of Myanmar had been fired for betraying the country, a day after they urged the United Nations to use “in any way necessary” the coup on 1 February which Elected leader Aung San Suu Kyi removed.

Myanmar has been in turmoil ever since the military seized power and detained Suu Kyi and most of his party leadership, alleging that his party won in a landslide in the November election.

The coup, which stalled Myanmar’s progress towards democracy, brought thousands of protesters to the streets and drew condemnation from Western countries, imposing some limited sanctions.

The police were out since early Saturday, sensing the situation at the usual protest sites in the main city of Yangon.

Despite the police operation, chanting and singing, the struggle developed as a people. They disintegrated into the streets and buildings as the police advanced, removing teardrop gas, installing stun grenades and firing guns into the air. Witnesses said police detained some people with the club.

State-run MRTV television said that more than 470 people have been arrested across the country. It added that the police had warned people before being thrown out of unconscious grenades.

“People blocked the roads without any reason. Among those arrested, we will investigate those who organize protests and take stern action.”

The Assistant Association for Political Prisoners’ Rights Group said the number of arrests was believed to have been higher, with 40 to 50 people in each of at least 10 prison buses transported to Insen Prison in Yangon.

Many journalists were among those detained, their media organizations and colleagues said.

“People are protesting peacefully, but they are threatening us with weapons,” youth activist Sher Yamon told Reuters.

“We are fighting to end this military bullying that has been passed down from generation to generation.”

Police confronted protesters across the country. Among those detained in Mandalay’s other city was Vin Mya Mya, one of the two parliamentarians of the Suu Kyi National League for Democracy (NLD), media said.


Local media 7Day News and an emergency worker said a woman was shot and injured in the central city of Monvia. 7Day and two other media organizations previously reported that she was dead.

Junta leader General Min Aung Hlaing has said that officials are using minimal force. Nevertheless, at least three protesters have died in the days of unrest. The army says a policeman has been killed in the unrest.

Activists on Sunday called for another day of protests.

Myanmar Ambassador Kyo Mo Tunay told the United Nations General Assembly that Saturday’s violence occurred a day after speaking on behalf of Suu Kyi’s government and appealed for help to end the military coup.

MRTV television said he was fired according to civil service rules because he had “betrayed the country” and “abused the power and responsibilities of an ambassador”.

However, the United Nations has not officially recognized Junata as Myanmar’s new government.

United Nations special rapperport Tom Andrews said he was overwhelmed by the ambassador’s “act of courage”, writing on Twitter “it’s time for the world to respond to that courageous action”.

The Chinese envoy did not criticize the coup, saying the situation is an internal Myanmar affair, stating that China supported a diplomatic effort by Southeast Asian countries to find a solution.

Myanmar generals have traditionally reduced diplomatic pressure. Woodside Petroleum Ltd of Australia said it was cutting its presence in Myanmar regarding rights violations and violence.

The 75-year-old Suu Kyi had to undergo a sentence of about 15 years during military rule. She faces charges of illegally importing six walkie-talkie radios and violating a natural disaster law by violating the Koronv protocol.

(This story is not edited by NDTV staff and auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here